Public School Environments

Yesterday I had the privilege of talking with Chris Dowdy. He speaks on the behalf of Kelli Stargel, our Florida Senator. He stated "I don't send my kids to my neighborhood school because I don't like the environment." My initial reaction to this comment is that as a public school educator, I am offended. Every school year, I strive to provide the best "environment" for all of my students.

However, his statement although offends me further. Allow me to explain. Through the magic of the internet and a little navigation skills one can find any homeowner's address. This then leads me to know which school he is referring to as having an acceptable environment. The school Senator Stargel's office doesn't like is Padgett Elementary. Having lived in Polk County for almost all of my life, I know a few people. This includes fellow educators at Padgett.

My desire here is not to bring my friends into this response. My goal here is to point out Senator Stargel and Mr. Dowdy's severe deficient thinking of educators and our families.

The first educator that I will speak about that works at Padgett is a former teacher of mine. For my k-12 education I attended a private school in Lakeland. This was what my parents wanted for me. But, I digress. The teacher worked at the private school. This teacher has an infectious personality. At the private school I attended, she taught hundreds of students. One of the famous characteristics of this teacher is actually the love she shows to each and every student. Every student feels like they are truly someone special. So, Mr. Dowdy, what is wrong with the environment this teacher is creating for her students?

The second educator that works at Padgett is a friend of mine from my k-20 years. I have not had her as a teacher. But, I do know her dedication to children. It is unreal. Everyday she works hard to bring the education alive and engage students. She does this in a variety of ways. This could be anything from dressing up as a character to playing the game "pie in the face." (It probably goes without saying that the costs from her own pocket!)

I would gladly put my children in either of these teachers classrooms. They both do a fantastic job of creating a quality learning environment for all of their children.

3 comments:

  1. Well said my friend! As public educators we are dedicated and feel a real desire to provide an amazing education for all our students. I don't think people think about the ramifications of the comments they make about public schools, and quite frankly, it stings!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie! I hope to share our story with more important so they start to understand what you have said, the true heart of a teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Senator Stargel please check your inbox

I sent this email to Senator Stargel today. I hope she understands that our students are much more than a number. It is in response to her ...